Home Remedies For Anxiety Attacks
via Natural Home Remedies by author on 2/11/11
Constant and overwhelming anxiety can be controlled with the help of natural home remedies for Anxiety Attacks. If left untreated, these attacks can eventually give rise to anxiety disorder.
Under normal circumstances, tension and anxiety help to keep you focused but when the condition becomes severe and occurs suddenly, it becomes more of a problem.
Anxiety attacks or panic attacks involve symptoms like shortness of breath, sweating, accelerated heartbeat, chest pain, dizziness, muscle tension, trembling, headache, nausea, upset stomach, fatigue and excessive apprehension.
These attacks usually last up to half an hour. The condition is often associated with other psychological issues like Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Phobia, Depression etc. Given below are some tried and tested Anxiety Attacks home remedies that can help a great deal in reducing your problem.
Natural Home Remedies for Anxiety Attacks
• The most popular natural cure for Anxiety Attacks is to take deep diaphragmatic breaths. While following this home treatment, take long, deep breathes while keeping your chest and shoulders in position and slowly expanding and contracting the stomach area.
Ancient breathing exercise called alternate nostril breathing is useful in getting rid of tension and anxiety. Meditation also helps in healing this problem.
• Valerian root, red clover, lavender, passionflower, thyme, kava kava, lemon balm, winter cherry, orange blossoms, chamomile etc are regarded as excellent herbal remedies for Anxiety Attacks natural treatment. These herbs help in relaxation of muscles and making you calm; some even work as mild sedatives. Valerian, in particular, helps improve the quality of sleep and relieve anxiety.
These herbs can be taken in the form of tinctures, capsules, liquid extracts or herbal teas. Pregnant and nursing women should consult a doctor before taking any of these herbal solutions.
• Massaging around the back of the head, around throat and in the diaphragm area is useful in controlling and reducing Anxiety Attacks. As it helps relive tension.
• Taking a peaceful walk is one of the most highly beneficial natural home remedies for Anxiety Attacks. It is a gentle form of exercise that helps anxiety characterized by a rush of adrenalin. Moreover, regular exercising helps in avoiding Anxiety Attacks to some extent.
• Refocusing your thoughts and engaging your mind elsewhere is a simple but highly effective Anxiety Attacks natural remedy. When trying this home remedy, try to focus on positive thoughts and eliminate negative, worrisome thoughts.
But, do not try to escape from the situation altogether or else it can lead to development of phobia. Dealing with this problem all alone is extremely difficult. Therefore, it is suggested that you take help of your family and friends.
• Having a relaxing warm bath with soothing music playing by your side is also helpful in curing Anxiety Attacks naturally.
• Another common tip to reduce this problem is to take to take a sniff of comfort smells like that of baby powder, freshly baked cookies or other such items that are associated with good memories. The aroma of lemons is also helpful in dealing with Anxiety Attacks.
• Yoga, aromatherapy, acupuncture, hydrotherapy and other such alternative therapies are considered as valuable natural home remedies for Anxiety Attacks.
Besides, restrict the consumption of caffeinated items like tea, coffee, colas and chocolates. Stay away from artificial sweeteners.
Drink adequate amount of water throughout the day and consume healthy foods like alfalfa sprouts, apples, apricots, bananas, carrots, cabbage, soya beans, oatmeal, strawberries, bell peppers, ginger, yogurt, warm milk and other stress relieving foods. In addition, make good sleeping habits to keep the mind calm and relaxed. Sleep deprivation tends to worsen stress and anxiety.
Apart from these natural home remedies for Anxiety Attacks, seek professional help in case the attacks become severe and start affecting your daily routine. Methods like cognition therapy, behavior therapy, hypnosis are considered useful in Anxiety Attacks treatment.